The Porgera Landowners Association sent a letter to the head office of Barrick Gold outlining their concerns about the sale of 50% of their Porgera Mine stake to Zijin Mining Group. They are calling for Barrick to convene a high level delegates meeting with stakeholders of the Porgera Mine, including Zijin, so that these concerns can be addressed.
These concerns include:
- losing local employment to Chinese employees
- losing local business if the procurement process is affected
- severe damage to the environment
- lack of respect for MOA commitments
- the resettlement project could be negatively impacted
- the Fly-in, Fly-out agreement will be undermined
Read the full statement here.